Here's to a great week!
Just quickly, last week we shared with you some information on how you can get involved with Volunteering in and around Manchester.
To follow that up, this week we’d like to share with you our 10 top tips (In no particular order) to help make your volunteering journey an enjoyable experience.
Here we go….
- If you have never volunteered before you might want to apply for short term roles or one off events in the first instance, to make sure volunteering is something you want to do!
- Have a good think about exactly how much time you can commit to volunteering, it can be easily overlooked.
- Think outside the box and try new things if you can. You never know, you might just find a new interest or hobby whilst gaining new skills.
- Consider volunteering with friends or family. It’s a great way of bringing you closer together while doing something great!
- Virtual volunteering, yes there is such a thing. Social media and technology related opportunities are available too, so you can volunteer from home should you prefer!
- Research the organisations you want to get involved with beforehand, to make sure their causes and ethics match your beliefs and the issues that are important to you.
- Identify the skills that you have to offer.
- Think about why you want to volunteer. It will make it easier for you to choose the right opportunities if you know what you aim to get out of it.
- If you are not enjoying a volunteering opportunity it is perfectly acceptable to move on to new opportunities. It is good practice to be upfront and honest with the organisation and let them know. Good volunteering only works if both parties are enjoying the experience.
- To be a good volunteer: Be prepared, punctual, participary, and committed. Communicate well by listening and asking questions to learn about the organisation and your responsibilities. Most importantly, enjoy yourself as you give and do good work.
Speak soon, VCM