Are you working with or are aware of a group or individuals keen to engage their street or local area in positive activities?
Would they benefit from training or support to help them to involve others, organise events and develop ideas for projects?
Eco Streets is a community grants programme open to residents in south and central Manchester funded through Manchester City Council and partners and managed by Groundwork.
The programme empowers local people to grow their knowledge and awareness of the climate change agenda and increase their confidence to take steps to mitigate their own impact. Training and support is being offered to help to engage residents with the climate change agenda in a fun, informal and informative way, linking in with local priorities.
It is expected that groups will be allocated an average of £2,000 each to implement their idea. This could be spent on capital or professional support depending on the successful projects.
Examples might include:
• Local greening / adaptation projects (tree planting, green roofs, reducing hard landscaping, etc)
• Improving energy efficiency (draught excluders, timers for electrical equipment etc)
• Local food growing projects
• Energy generation
• Rain water harvesting
• Recycling / Composting schemes
The key learning outcomes for participating residents will be:
• Increased knowledge and confidence in planning and managing a community project, including managing a budget, applying for funding and involving others
• Improved understanding of the cause and effect of climate change - both at a global and local level
• Improved understanding of the impact of their own behaviours on the climate – and what specific actions make the most difference and
• Greater understanding of how these projects can improve community cohesion and community action
All applicants will receive free training and on-going support throughout the application process.
For further information or to book on the training, contact Abigail Pound or Rachael Stoney, on 0161 220 1000, or email: email@example.com.
For further information and to apply, visit:
Deadline: Monday 14 November 2011