This 1-day course will help people feel more confident when tackling difficult conversations with colleagues, volunteers, paid staff or service users.
By the end of the course participants will:
- know the consequences of avoiding difficult conversations.
- have learned how to approach the conversation, how to start and end, and keep control throughout.
- have practised having difficult conversations in a supportive environment.
- take away an outline of conversations they may have as a result of the course.
- What is a difficult conversation?
- The 'learning conversation' approach – having an open mind.
- Assertive communication: balancing firm, fair, open and direct.
- Why we avoid having difficult conversations.
- Nipping in the bud with a 'quiet word' to prevent escalation.
- Preparing for the difficult conversation. How to begin. Core statements.
- Taking control and staying in control of the conversation.
- Handling our own and the other person's feelings.
- Ending the conversation - action planning and moving on.
If you would like to run this course in-house for a group of staff, please get in touch on 07733 268088.
The course costs £650 to run for up to a maximum of 12 people.
See attached booking form