The Expert Patients Programme supports people with long-term conditions to regain as much control over their physical and emotional well-being as possible.
Patients have said they often need to develop different ways to cope with regular discomfort and not being able to do the things they used to do or would like to do.
The course is delivered in a group session once a week for 6 weeks, each session lasts for 2 ½ hours with a refreshment break.
It is an evidence based self-management programme and delivered at local venues across Manchester.
Why does the course work so well?
Many patients said that even though they have different conditions they share many of the same problems, for example:
• Greater confidence in dealing with health problems
• Day to day living is not such big deal
• Feel more in control
• Experience less pain and fatigue, depression and anxiety
• GP and health care appointments have positive outcomes and actions
• Better communication with health professionals
• Feel more confident discussing symptoms and medications with Drs and other health care professionals
• When you can’t do what you used to and your family and friends don’t understand how it affects you
• Get angry, frustrated when you can’t do what you used to be able to do
• It can affect your job or your ability to work
• mobility can be a problem
• You feel low and isolated or a burden on loved ones