Manchester City Council are seeking a partner or partners to design and develop new approaches to tackling inactivity in North Manchester as part of the Winning Hearts and Minds Programme.
The partnership delivering the Winning Hearts and Minds programme (WHM) includes Manchester Health and Care Commissioning, Manchester City Council and Eastlands Trust.
WHM is a whole system approach to improving heart (cardiovascular disease) and mental health outcomes, and associated inequalities in Manchester, with an initial focus in North Manchester. The WHM programme consists of four main workstreams:
1. Community-led Initiatives (CLI): using the ‘Our Manchester’ approach, this workstream draws on the evidence-base from the HELP (Health Empowerment Leverage Projects) model, and is central to delivery of the entire programme. Resident-led partnership groups for a number of ‘neighbourhoods’ (based on populations of around 5,000 people that are recognised as ‘neighbourhoods’ by local people) will develop and deliver initiatives for the WHM programme.
Relationships will be built with current groups and community development work where they already exist, and new groups will be facilitated where there are gaps. Delivery of this workstream will be facilitated through place-based approaches taking place in the city. The two initial areas that the pilot work in are Collyhurst and Cheetham.
2. Healthy Lifestyles: this area of work will focus on promoting and increasing physical activity. This workstream includes the tackling inactivity initiative supported by Sport England, for which this prospectus directly relates.
3. Healthy Hearts: this workstream is focussed on improving detection of cardiovascular disease (CVD) and its risk factors, optimising care and reducing variation. The first phase will focus on NHS Health Checks, atrial fibrillation and hypertension.
4. Healthy Minds: this workstream will focus on improving the physical health of people with severe and enduring mental illness (SMI) through overcoming current barriers to good physical health and wellbeing for this group of people.
This grant programme is funded by Sport England and administered by Winning Hearts and Minds (Manchester City Council), it is overseen by a programme board made up of a range of stakeholders.
The total amount for the grant programme is up to £100,000. Manchester City Council are looking to provide 2 grants of up to £45,000 for each of Cheetham and Collyhurst. A further £5,000 (max) per area will be made available for co-production costs.
Who can apply?
Organisations must have:
• A recent (in the last two years) track record of work within the city of Manchester
• Three or more committee members with designated roles
• Aims, objectives or purpose (e.g. constitution, set of rules or other governing document)
• Appropriate mechanisms to ensure financial accountability
Applications will only be accepted from:
• Unincorporated associations, incorporated associations, trusts or companies that are set up and registered as a charity.
• An unincorporated association set up as a voluntary or community group
• An industrial and provident society
• A community interest company
• A not for profit company limited by guarantee
• A community benefit society
• A Charitable Incorporated Organisation (CIO)
To apply to be a partner, complete an expression of interest by 28 September 2018, 17:00.