The Greater Manchester Older People's Network is all about getting older people's voices heard from right across Greater Manchester. There are multiple ways you can be involved with the network - it's up to you to get involved as much or as little as you would like.
Below are just some of the ways you can get involved. If you have any other suggestions please contact Liz or Victoria on 0161 834 9823 or email GMOPN@macc.org.uk
- Become a member of the network - Membership is open to individuals aged 50 and over and to organisations that support older people. Our members recieve a monthly newsletter, invitations to our events and information about training and participation opportunities. To become a member of the Greater Manchester Older People's Network click here.
- Join the Action Group - The Action Group meets every 6 weeks to discuss ideas relating to Older People in Greater Manchester and to lead the work of the network. We currently have have sufficient membership from Manchester, Bury, Salford, Stockport, Rochdale, Trafford, Wigan and Bolton, however we are still looking for representatives from Tameside or Oldham. If you are over 50, from Tameside or Oldham and are interested in joining the Action Group, then we would love to hear from you!
- Join our Positive Ageing Imagery Project - We are really excited to be launching a new Positive Ageing Imagery Project. This project will be looking at why stereotypical images of wrinkly hands that reinforce negativity around ageing are used in the media to represent older people. We want to replace these images with more positive ones that celebrate older people and ageing. Helen Morris, who will be volunteering with the Greater Manchester Older People’s Network over the coming months, will be facilitating this project and is looking for older people who are interested in getting involved. If you would like to get involved in this project then you can do so by:
• Joining our focus group
• Becoming an online image reviewer
- Join our working groups - At the start of 2019, we launched our new housing, transport and health working groups following on from a visioning exercise that the Action Group did. These working groups meet every 2 months to share news on what work is already going on in Greater Manchester and to plan work for the network to focus on throughout the year. If you have an interest in any of these areas then please get in touch.
- Come along to our quarterly events - Each quarter, we hold large-scale events, which up to 100 people attend. These events are an opportunity for older people to discuss the things that really matter to them alongside experts and key decision makers in those particular subject or policy areas such as the NHS. We have previously held events focusing on the areas of housing, transport, health, campaigning and participation and after each event we publish reports based on views of older people who attend the events. Our themes are all decided upon by older people themselves through our Action Group and through planning groups. If you would like to recieve invitations to our events, please click here to sign up as a member.
- You can also follow us on twitter