What is it?
Community Reporting is about helping people to have a voice. It is user generated content with individuals trained to tell their story. Training can be tailored to your needs and can involve any aspect of Community Reporting – written content, audio, video or photography. See the below document for details of the training we offer. It could be used for voluntary and community organisations to raise their profile, showcasing their work and highlighting their impact. Or it could be a way for running a consultation with tenants or service users to say what they think and tell their personal story. The Community Reporters training is accredited by the Institute of Community Reporters.
What can it do?
Community Reporting helps individuals:
• Gain media skills
• Tell their story
• Get a voice
• Build confidence and pride
• Increase their opportunities
• Meet new people
• Broaden their horizons
• Improve their CV
The community benefits are:
• Good news stories
• Highlighting the work of community groups, volunteers and charities
• Feel good factor
• Promoting community events
• Bringing communities together
• Sharing resources
Benefits of being a Community Reporter
• Badge: Press pass standards
• On-going support
• Part of a wider network across the UK and Europe (and further…)
• Opportunities to report beyond own community
• Access to resources
• Access to voluntary and paid work opportunities
All Community Reporters can also upload their content to the main Community Reporter website and anything tagged ‘Manchester’ will also feature on the Manchester page.
Examples of projects
As part of the Manchester Community Reporter programme we have delivered:
- Training for excluded young people in making films - documenting a growing and healthy eating project on an allotment
- A photography project with residents of an area going through a large re-development process
- A three day film training programme with mental health groups as part of a consultation on Mental Health Services in Manchester
For more information contact Hannah, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Tel: 0161 834 9823
See the attached documents for an overview of the Community Reporters programme and also the training we can offer to your organisation in Community Reporting and marketing.